Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

96 Grand Marquis won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Default 96 Grand Marquis won't start!

Ok here's the deal:
Its a 96 grand Marquis with the 4.6 V8. It was running fine when it was parked, the following morning go to start and it wouldn't. It's cranking fine but not attempting to start at all, no hiccups like its starting to catch or anything like that.

First thinking was the fuel pump, pulled the line into the fuel filter and turned the key to kick the fuel pump over, fuel came out so the fuel pump isn't the problem. Then reconnected that line and pulled the one coming out of the fuel filter to see if it might be clogged or something. Fuel filter also seemed fine so the line was reconnected. Went under the hood and after trying to crank it a couple times hit the pressure relief on the fuel rail and it shot out fuel, so I don't think fuel delivery is the issue.

Also checked all the under hood fuses and checked for any loose connections or things of that nature. Everything seemed to be in good shape. Also disconnected the Mass Air Flow sensor to see if that could be bad and cause a no start issue, but there was no difference between plugged and unplugged.

Only two things I could think at this point would be the injectors or a spark issue. I pulled a plug wire and stuck a screw driver in it and cranked, felt like it was getting some juice to it but couldn't actually see a spark so not 100% sure. As far as the injectors I didn't have any way to test them.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Any know problems with these motors/cars? What are the odds of all the injectors causing a problem at one time, are they all controlled by one source? What about spark, would both coils go bad at the same time? And if only one went bad wouldn't the car still at least try to start or just run like crap?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I browsed the forums a little bit but didn't find any helpful information. Thanks in advance..

Last edited by nightmare351w; 12-08-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM

check power to coils and check crank position sensor...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Bad electronic sensor-crank or cam, coil pack, and worse case computer, scan it for trouble codes and that should tell you what direction to take.

Last edited by EddieE; 12-14-2012 at 10:34 AM.