Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

How to roll back odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Default How to roll back odometer?

Hi All....
Am replacing the Speedometer cluster in my Lady's 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has only about 60,000 miles on it and the second hand speedometer I got at a junk yard had considerably more. She wants me to set it back to the same reading as the one that broke......how do I go about that, please. I am electronically trained, so if it's a matter of doing some jumpers and/or applying some voltages to certain pins, that's not a problem.....just need to know exactly what to do.

Tks,
Chuck, CABGx3

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

to do this, you will have to pull the cluster apart... the gears as far as i know only turn one way with a clicker in the mechanism allowing for one direction

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic
to do this, you will have to pull the cluster apart... the gears as far as i know only turn one way with a clicker in the mechanism allowing for one direction
Thanks......I just picked up a speedometer from the junk yard, complete, so I will either roll it back (forward) as you related, or maybe just pull the gears out and put them in the old one......

Many thanks,
Chuck, CABGx3

Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Well......I opened the Cluster I got at the junk yard and was able to re-adjust the Odometer to be the same as my Lady's car that I was going to put it in and when I got ready to install it I found that it was not EXACTLY the same as the old one. So, rather than take a chance of messing things up, I just took the gears out of the junk yard one and replaced them in the old one and Walla....easy stuff.....at least much easier job than I had originally anticipated. It helped a lot tho, by going to the junk yard and removing one from there first, and learning all the mistakes about how to get it out on their junk car rather than on my Lady's car.....once I knew the process, replacing hers was a piece of cake.

It's a lot cheaper to take gears out of a junk yard speedometer than buying new gears online.....at least from what I've seen. My junk yard speedometer cost me $18.....the gears I found online cost nearly $100.

Hope this helps someone thinking about doing this kind of thing.

Chuck, CABGx3AAA